|Insuvet Protamine Zinc|
|PZI by Pfizer Animal Health|
|Also known as||Insuvet PZI, beef PZI|
|Action in cats||
|Action in dogs||
|Use and Handling|
|Shelf Life||24 months|
|When opened||28 days|
NOAH Compendium-UK officially describes it as highly purified bovine protamine zinc (PZI) insulin, according to British Pharmacopeia (BP) standards and definitions. It is U100 strength and presented in 10ml vials. It is described as being a medium to long lasting insulin, with onset from 2-5 hours after injection, peak at 12-24 hours, and maximum duration of 24-36 hours.
NOAH goes on to say that onset, peak and duration times have been reported as being variable in dogs. There is also a note regarding the time activity profile information for cats--times for them can be half that of dogs, due to cats' faster metabolism.
Usage and handlingEdit
Store at2-8C; do not freeze. Insuvet Protamine Zinc needs rolling. Product should not be used if it does not re-suspend. The vial has a life of 28 days after first use and a shelf life of 2 years.
Comparable insulins are: Hypurin Vet Protamine Zinc (also for veterinary use) and Hypurin Bovine Protamine Zinc, which is approved for human use. The latter is the only one which can be exported from the UK. The U100 strength of BCP PZI and Summit PZI is also comparable to this insulin.
Insuvet PZI comes in a 10ML vial. It should be kept refrigerated and rolled gently several times before use to insure it is well-mixed and shows a uniform milky consistency. It will lose its efficacy within 24 hours if left out of the fridge. There is some debate how long it will last if it is stored correctly -- my vet says it should be good for 2 months.
No Combining For PZI
In the UK, it's in stock and can be obtained at Best Pet Pharmacy.
- ↑ Petsulin Protamine Zinc Page 5 feline duration
- ↑ Insulins-North American Veterinary Conference
- ↑ Hypurin Bovine Protamine Zinc Patient Information
- ↑ Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC) UK-Hypurin Bovine Protamine Zinc
- ↑ Photo-Insuvet Protamine Zinc vial and carton
- ↑ NOAH Compendium-Insuvet
- ↑ NOAH Compendium-UK-Insuvet-Uses
- ↑ NOAH Compendium-UK-Insuvet-Dosage & Administration
- ↑ NOAH Compendium-UK-Insuvet-Contraindications/Warnings
- ↑ NOAH Compendium-UK-Insuvet-Pharmaceutical Information
- ↑ Medications
- ↑ Prescribing Bovine Insulin
- ↑ Excess Protamine in Protamine Zinc Insulin Formula
- ↑ Comparison of Injection Techniques for Soluble and Protamine Zinc Insulins in Diabetes Mellitus PubMed-Practitioner-1975
- ↑ NHS UK-Protamine Zinc Insulin (PZI) Binds to Soluble Insulin in Same Syringe
- ↑ Petsulin Protamine Zinc- Page 5-Incompatibilities